Historical Dayle House was built by construction firm Blainwright & Dayle in 1889 for Clarence “Stucky” Stonecork, Greenback party member and political hopeful in Texas’s 1891 gubernatorial election. Stonecork was known to be an outside chance candidate, certainly by everybody except Stucky himself, and his political ambitions were thwarted by George Clark’s catchy “Don’t Get Stuck” slogan, and of course the dissolution of the Greenback party in 1884. Stonecork faded from Texas’s political scene and Austin’s bank accounts, and Blainwright & Dayle took over Stonecork House as their local supply depot—thus, Dayle House’s 14 elegant Classical Revival storage sheds.
Wesley and Beebee Dayle completed work on the rambling, faux-chateau house and its grounds in 1910, and went on to host both glittering parties and Beebee’s own Society for the Betterment of the Feeble-Minded. Beebee’s donation of the Dayle House and its estates to Austin on November 16, 1938 marked the official creation of the Austin Museum of Nearly New Art.
A new wing was added to the Museum under the watch of chairman Raymond Greene, enhancing the historic building with the more modern south chapel and distinctly Googie gift shop and lobby. The expansions made room for the inclusion of Greene’s own Thrift Art Gallery of Austin, and the museum as it stands today owes much to Greene’s generous interference.
Dayle House is located on Meadowbank Drive in Austin’s lakeside Tarrytown district, the merry neighborhood tradition of the annual Christmas petition notwithstanding.